Thursday, September 17, 2015

Science

Here's some pictures of two of my science experiments that I did in Module #1 of my science book.
And just sayin', ya'll, I really like when science experiments work; but I'm definitely, absolutely, and positively not going to be a scientist.

Density in nature: 
 
This experiment showed that all of the liquids contained atoms, but the atoms in each liquid were packed at different densities.  The olive oil at the top  contained atoms that were less packed than the water.  The water contained atoms that were less tight than the corn syrup.  The cork, the ice cube, the grape, and the rock all had atoms that were packed at different densities causing the cork to float on top, the ice cube to float on top of the water, the grape to float on the top of the corn syrup, and the rock to sink to the bottom.





A Chemical Reaction:

This experiment showed that when certain substances are mixed together, they could create a new substance.  This mostly was done by alchemists whose job was to find substances that, when mixed together, would form gold.
I boiled some red cabbage leaves and put it in the bottle with 3/4 cup of vinegar.  I then attached the ballon that had 2 tablespoons of baking soda in it and poured it from the ballon into the cabbage-water and vinegar mixture.  When the vinegar and baking soda mixed it formed three new substances: carbon dioxide, sodium acetate, and water.  The carbon dioxide coming up through the vinegar caused the balloon to inflate.  There was a second chemical reaction that happened when anthocyanin from the cabbage leaves I boiled interacted with the vinegar: it went from a blue color, to a pinkish color.  Since the vinegar became a different substance, caused by the other chemical reaction, the anthocyanin no longer had the vinegar to interact with, so the water turned back to the blue color it was originally.  (I did have a video, but it was to big to load!!)
 
The leftover cabbage water.  ;-)



3 comments:

  1. Ellen,
    I think your experiments are cool, but you didn't tell us what you learned. I think you would make a great scientist.
    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I've done that first experiment before. . . maybe last year? Oh, and I ate the grape after I got done. It was pretty gross!
    Actually, it was just normal once I sucked all the olive oil off. Before that. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the pink cabbage leaves...... :-) ~Sky

      Delete